5 good excuses to use to say no:
- Blame it on your budget: “I’m so sorry, that doesn’t fit in my budget this month, but I really appreciate the invitation.”
- Blame it on your schedule: “Oh that sounds like something I’d love, unfortunately I’m so over committed right now, but thank you so much for thinking of me.”
- Blame it on somebody else: “Oh, you know what? We would really enjoy that event but that’s our family night and I know that- [your husband, your child, whoever] -is really looking forward to it. I just can’t cancel.” Or, “I promised my husband I wouldn’t take on any new projects right now.”
- Blame it on exhaustion: “Thank you so much for thinking of me, but I’m going to keep that night open. I’m usually really tired on Monday nights and I really need that time to relax and recharge for my family.”
- Just say no: “No, thank you. I appreciate you thinking of me!”
**Don’t: tell people to check with you later, don’t push it off on someone else (unless you truly think that person wants to do it), do not over apologize, don’t second guess your decision.